Sunday, October 17, 2010

Granddaddy Sid, Part Two…

During World War II granddad worked at Tinker AFB in Midwest City.  Because he was born in Indian Territory he didn’t have a birth certificate like folks from a ‘state’ had.  They had to do all kinds of paperwork for a birth certificate to get him cleared to work since it was for the government.  I just found this out from talking to my cousin this past week.  Granddad and grandmother lived with my aunt, uncle and cousins during this time we think because my uncle worked at Tinker and they could ride together to work.  During the war everything was rationed, gas, tires, sugar and a lot more.  I don’t know if, since my uncle and my granddad worked on the planes, thus the war effort, they had any more gasoline than normal folks were allotted to be sure they could get back and forth to work.  I wish I had thought of these questions years ago when my uncle was still alive but it seems that looking at things retrospectively is when all these questions pop into my head.

Grandmother and Granddaddy VenableMy grandparents probably were dressed to go to church because of granddad having his suit coat on…  This photo would have been taken in the late 40’s I think because of this…

 2680I was probably two or two and a half here but the photo was taken at my aunt Mac and Uncle Bud’s place like the photo before, or at least that’s where I think it was but it could have been at the house where we lived before we moved to the ‘big house’ as I like to call it because I remember next to nothing about the little home we lived in before the big house.  My grandmother is stepping out the door, probably to chase me down, but I think that my grandparents had moved to Konawa, Oklahoma, by this time and were in Okla. City for a visit and this is why there are a number of photos that were taken at this time.

Anyway, I loved my granddaddy and although I didn’t find the pictures I was looking for at least I got you introduced to my grandparents and when I find the photos that I know one of us has I’ll be able to post them and share another post about my grandparents with you all.

10 comments:

Roslyn said...

Looking at that pic I figure they were about our age now, & they look so OLD! Grandmas looked like grandmas not like us,LOL! How our perspectives change as we mature!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

looking for the cistern... that so looks like one of my families houses from when i was a kid .. but it is in Illinois :)

Lonicera said...

Interesting the way you ALL have laceups on! Cute cute picture of you.
Caroline

Terry said...

Howdy Helen
Oh my goodness this rang a bell with me .
I have several unsolved family history questions due to the Indian Territory not being a state at the time.
I also have relatives who not only worked at Tinker but retired from there.
Your the first blogger I follow to mention Midwest City !
How cool are you :)
Thank you so much for sharing these fabulous photos !
I really enjoyed meeting your grandparents .
You have a truly rich heritage .
Have a great week .
Until next time
Happy Trails

Debbie said...

I had the same pair of shoes you did. I think it's what we all wore. Not the fancy ones they have now!

I love looking at these and hearing your memories!

She probably was trying to catch you. You still haven't stopped LOL

hetty said...

You were such a cutie!

Tipper said...

Oh I loved reading about your Grandfather Sid. Lucky Strikes and a fiddle player too-and what a beautiful head of hair he had! You were a cutie pie too-but I bet you already knew that : )

Hope you have a good weekend!

Reddirt Woman said...

Ros I think it has to do with the generational changes in our lifetime. My mom looked like a grandmother but not so much as my grandmother. The changes in fashions and hairstyles were more contemporary and I think our generation has been more physically active and health and body conscious and that shows in how we look at the same age as our parents...

Laura, you sweet peach, there was city water in Okla. City even back at that time. I don't believe, even in our reunions in Tennessee, that I've ever seen a working cistern. I've seen cisterns in antique shops but not one in actual use.

I think if I get to checking, Caroline, that all six of us, me and my five sibs, all wore the laceups, quite possibly passed from one to the next of us since children grow so quickly and that includes feet. I don't remember my grandmother or grandfather wearing anything besides laceups. The buttonups seemed to be for perhaps the ladies that were from a more wealthy and social strata.

Terry it is so funny that I only found out at 65 years of age about the problems faced by those that were born in Indian Territory. I truly had never thought about that so this blogging stuff is educational in more ways than one and also to the blogger as well as the blogee... and I too feel that I have a rich heritage. Thank you!

Debbie I think you're right... we all wore the same shoes at least for the first couple of walking years. And were your shoes Buster Browns?

Thank you Hetty... my mother always said that her mother told her that the stock should always improve...

Tipper if my granddaddy was out of Lucky Strikes he always had a bag of tobacco and cigarette papers and he would roll his own. I can remember him pulling that little bag out of his bib overalls and being fascinated watching how he could sprinkle out just the right amount and roll them up... of course when I got into my early twenties I found I knew peers that could roll a smoke as well, just with the 'wacky tobacco' but my drug of choice was plain old cigarettes and thankfully I quit that ten plus years ago...

Reddirt Woman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GingerJar said...

My grandpa was born in Texas and my Grandma in Arkansas, but they lived in OK. My grandma moved to OK sometime in the 20's I think. Her sister lived with them, and would sneak off to go to the pow-wow's (which was forbidden, but she did it anyhow). My grandpa rolled Prince Albert from the little red cans. I loved getting the empty cans to keep my barbie doll clothes in and all my little treasures. Times were simple then. I guess that's because we were kids and didn't have to worry about things like paying the bills and making sure the food was on the table.