Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Good Old Days...

I was over at WWOW earlier and Hallie was talking about the Iguana, one of her and BK's favorite 'watering' spots, and it set me to thinking about some of the joints, er...nightclubs that I use to visit when I was way younger. Most of those dives, er... disco clubs and, ummm, well, beer joints have all been shut down, bulldozed, burned down or just left to rack and ruin. I will have to say that I've never been much of one to drink and back when I first started going to clubs (yes, I waited until I was 'legal') I didn't drink at all but I did enjoy dancing and really enjoyed playing pool. A bartender at one joint called me the o.j. kid because that's what I drank, well that and diet coke back then. I would go to where ever I was going that night, get my o.j. or soda and put my quarter on the pool table and would generally play all evening while nursing my one or two drinks.... unless my brothers came in to play a little pool with me and those were the nights I had to be really on my game or I'd get whipped all over the place and run out of quarters. We've always been very competitive and we always tried to 'keep the table' and make the other bar goers pay for the privilege of playing some 8-ball. I've been accused of being a pool shark by some, but I think what helped me out more than practicing or playing against my brothers was the fact that everybody else would be having a drink or two or ...

What a nice walk down memory lane... without the stale beer and cigarette smells...

It got to 104 today with a heat factor of 108... anybody want to come visit in Oklahoma? I stayed inside from about 1:30 on this afternoon, trying to stay cool. Hope you all are cooler than we are...

Helen

3 comments:

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I just miss it so much and I've only known about it for 2 days. What will I do without my beloved IGUANA???

Can I come dance on your countertop?

Hallie

Reddirt Woman said...

ROTFLMAO... you bet, Hallie... Not only can you come dance on my counter top, if I can hike myself up there I'll even dance with you. I bet we could have ball!!

Thanks for stopping by...

Mama C. said...

I have my own memories of my "party" days... but I did drink back then (I don't now). But, I, like you, didn't drink until I was legal, even though I was going into clubs to see my brother's band play when I was as young as 11 (and yes, he kept a VERY good eye on me, even when he was on stage!).

I think a lot of my old haunts either have been demolished, re-established as newer, shinier versions, or just left to collect dust, and vermin (of the four-legged kind... not the ones who desperately tried to pick someone up during "last call" on a Saturday night!), and dirt.

Good thing we have our memories to sustain us, huh?